Saturday, November 28, 2015

Key Lime Pie Recipe | Kenzie's Kitchen

Hey everyone! Last Father's Day, I made my dad a key lime pie for his special day. I decided to film the process of making it, but never ended up publishing it publicly to YouTube. Since it is officially Autumn - which is pie season, I decided it would be a great time to share this video! Enjoy this recipe for an absolutely delicious eight-serving key lime pie.

Instructions






Crust:
5 tablespoons of melted butter
1 and 1/2 cups of graham cracker crumbs

Filling:
1 (14-ounce) can of sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup of key lime juice
1 teaspoon of grated lime zest
2 egg yolks

Meringue:
2 egg whites
1/4 teaspoon of cream of tartar
1/4 cup of sugar
1 teaspoon of grated lime zest

Tools:
9-inch pie pan (mine was a little larger, but that's okay)
a medium bowl (I used a blender)
a whisk
a medium bowl
several smaller bowls for combining (I used about 3)
measuring cups/spoons for the appropriate ingredients listed above


Side Recipe



Complications:
1.) I would like to point out a couple of key complications I experienced while I was making this pie. One of which was finding key lime juice at my local grocery store. I used a substitute recipe for the juice which I provided above, in case you come across the same problem.

2.) The second issue I had was with the egg whites. In the video, I was using pasteurized egg whites - which I do not recommend using for this recipe. When it came time to use them for the meringue, the soft peaks were not very evident. I would recommending using carton eggs and separating the whites from the yolks yourself.

3.) One last point I would like to bring to your attention is that I included tips throughout the video in big, bold, blue letters. I want to mention that I do highlight a couple of important details that were also mentioned in the video, so please seek out for those!



That is all for this key lime pie recipe. Thanks for reading! I hope you try this out. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment